Thursday, May 18, 2006

Louis de Bernieres

At the moment, this is my private blog- it's late at night, and I'm having trouble sleeping. I've decided to use this site as my private book journal - I hate it when I can't remember what I thought about a book or an author. I'm reading Birds Without Wings, by Louis de Bernieres, the author of Captain Corelli's Mandolin. It is a good read, somewhat grandiose and melodramatic. It's a bit too similar to the above mentioned book in theme and tone for my tastes, and again, a bit self-consciously tragic, although it is set in the Ottoman empire in world war I.. I enjoy the female characters, but it's a little much that they all seem to view men with the same bemused toleration or are interchangeable tragic/romantic heroine/victims. I'll finish the book because I started it and am interested in the people, but I don't think I'll pick up anothor book by the same author unless it has something radically different to say.

well - i'm farther into the book, and it is getting better. but I REALLY hate it when authors stick half baked poetry and songs into their books. (I could even live without Tolkein's.)

No comments: